The cellular plasma membrane is selectively permeable, which means some materials move through it while others cannot. the movement of materials into and out of the cell is called membrane transport. this activity will you identify the different mechanisms of membrane transport
The mechanisms of membrane transport are:
1) Simple diffusion: It is the process by which molecules move from a higher concentration to a lower concentration along a concentration gradient.
2) Facilitated diffusion: It is the type of diffusion which occurs with the help of some kind of molecules such as carrier molecules.
3) Active transport: It is the movement of molecules from a lower concentration to a higher concentration against a concentration gradient. Such process often requires energy to occur.
4) Exocytosis: When molecules or ions move out of a cell with the help of vesicles then such a transport is termed as exocytosis.
5) Endocytosis: When molecules or ions move inside a cell through vesicles then such a process is termed as endocytosis.